Tuesday, May 19, 2009

You Are What You Eat

Food is a very important part to my family’s tradition. If it weren’t for food I don’t believe we would have much more of a reason to stay and sit and listen to my uncle drone on about his latest employment escapade or about how my cousins are progressing in their youth group. The food makes the conversations lighter and easier to swallow. But there are so many different dishes that bring me up to that little beige house in the mountains. Is it my aunt’s cheese ball? Though delicious, there isn’t as much to go around to fully enjoy it. Would it happen to be my grandma’s turkey and stuffing? It’s incredible but my grandmother has been known to sneak gizzards into the stuffing. No, this is something that cannot be topped. It is the highest of all scrumptious dishes. We have a secret competition, my aunt and I. Whoever can make the most irresistible pie for dessert gets the glory for that year. Every year she brings some different concoction of pie to the table while giving me a glare as she set it between all of the members of the table. I revealed my own, only to be my infamous peanut butter chocolate pie that everyone had devoured the moment I uncovered it for the past four years in a row. It is expected of me now to bring the prized pie every thanksgiving, now being so popular among the family that I have to equip myself with a second pie to satisfy all of their hunger. It’s a blue ribbon every time and has now become a reoccurring tradition what I will continue on.

No comments:

Post a Comment